Occupational Therapist (Band 7)
Sheiling School, Thornbury is looking for a committed and enthusiastic Occupational Therapist. The right candidate will demonstrate a commitment to continual professional development, have a high level of mental and physical stamina and have a strong desire to make a difference to young people.
Sheiling School in Thornbury, South Glos is a residential Steiner Special School for children with moderate to severe learning difficulties aged 6 to 19 and is part of Camphill Communities Thornbury. Our beautiful grounds on the edge of the town encompass several residential houses for children and adults, a school building, indoor and outdoor craft workshops and a swimming pool.
- 12.6 weeks paid holiday which includes bank holidays
- Free onsite parking, subject to availability
- Perkbox benefits package (exclusive freebies and discounts)
Duties of the role will include:
- To create, manage and oversee the efficacy of sensory profiles for all pupils.
- To work effectively with fellow clinicians and key staff across the service including the Therapeutic Support Assistants, Teachers, Learning Support Assistants, the Education Leadership Team.
- To work with integrated OT programmes in the classroom and residential facilities, only delivering 1:1 sessions with prior agreement from the Head Teacher or when specified in an EHCP
- To liaise effectively with senior managers and all teaching staff such that best practice is evidenced throughout the whole curriculum.
- To advise on specialist equipment to assist with daily activities
- To liaise with other professionals – such as doctors, physiotherapists, social workers, as well as pupils’ families and carers when agreed with the Head Teacher – on matters relating to OT input.
- To write reports and attend multi-disciplinary case meetings to plan and review ongoing therapeutic needs.
Qualifications /Experience required:
- Recognised degree in Occupational Therapy
- Current registration of the HCPC
- Level 2-3 qualification in Sensory Integration Therapy (Assessment and Intervention)
- Trauma and emotional regulation experience
- Experience of direct work with children and young adults with Autism or sensory processing difficulties in an Occupational Therapy capacity
Specialist Knowledge required:
- Awareness of, and openness to, the Camphill/Steiner/Waldorf approach
- A thorough understanding of relevant medical conditions, terminology and medication.
- Sound knowledge of Occupational Therapy theory and practice relevant to working with children with special needs and their families.
- Knowledge of the roles of other professionals in health, social and education settings.
- Knowledge of legislation relevant to Occupational Therapy, education and social care.
- Clear understanding of relevant protection procedures and health and safety procedures
Actual salary £18,617 – £24,513, based on relevant experience and qualifications.
24 hours per week, over 3 or more days
12.6 weeks paid fixed holiday which includes bank holidays
Share this vacancy
- Applications will be accepted until the post is filled
- Start date: ASAP
Sheiling School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. All applicants must be willing to undergo safeguarding screening appropriate to the post, including thorough checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Please read the Adult and Child Protection policies prior to interview
Any offer of employment will be subject to receipt of satisfactory references and DBS.
Bristol BS35 1HP
01454 412 194
01454 411 860